«The Worldwide Cable and Harness Market in 2015 generated $134 billion in Sales Revenue with a predicted growth of 1.7% by 2016.»*
With the cable and harness industry continuing to grow, OEMs are not just looking for basic material/component suppliers, they are searching for «Solution Providers«.
- Wire and cable
- HLA – high level assemblies
- Project management
And most importantly, Certification on Industry Standards – such as the “IPC/WHMA-A-620”.
IPC/WHMA-A-620 Training and Certification Program
The A-620 Technical Training Committee has approved release of IPC/WHMA-A-620C training programs. Certification is not revision specific. Currently certified IPC/WHMA-A-620 CITs may purchase the Revision C course materials from IPC or from your preferred A-620 IPC Authorized Training Center.
- Workmanship standard for operators – standardization of visual criteria for acceptable process quality
- Quality management systems – ISO and regulatory requirements
- Achieve operational excellence – quality and productivity: used to monitor internal quality PPM goal; and, used to identify continuous improvement opportunities
- As a marketing tool
So, to summarize, the TRUE value of the IPC/WHMA-A-620 standard is:
- Internationally accepted workmanship standard – the materials are now published in 12 languages
- It’s “world class training and certification” is recognized by ISO and customer audits
- Employee involvement and pride in workmanship
- Creates a common language between OEMs and wire harness manufacturers
- Customer satisfaction – confidence in supplier quality and quality systems
- Compliance to ISO and regulatory requirements – ability to prove process and personnel effectiveness
- Being certified to an industry standard boosts credibility
«By having earned this valuable credential, you’ll receive immediate recognition, legitimacy and value throughout the industry.»
«A-620 as a marketing tool. The three most important things to any OEM customer are quality, delivery and price. With tools such as the A-620 standard to enhance quality, harness shop owners will also influence delivery and cost.» Assembly Magazine